Parent Drop Off/Pick Up/Tardy Procedures
Our mission in the Manalapan-Englishtown School District is to provide our students with an outstanding education in a safe, secure, and nurturing environment. One important area that falls under the umbrella of school safety is dismissal at the end of each school day. We have established procedures to ensure that students are dismissed from school and are delivered home safely. Parents who routinely drop off children in the morning or pick their children up early from school compromise our ability to maintain the safety of all of our Wemrock Brook School students. Further, as Board of Education Policy states: “…the early dismissal of students is detrimental to the student and the school program in that it: a) shortens the student’s day and disrupts the routine; b) disrupts and distracts from other responsibilities of the school staff; c) creates a safety hazard due to the interference with school bus traffic.”
As a result, we are asking that parents DO NOT drop students off in the morning or pick their children up from school in the afternoon unless it is absolutely necessary. For those parents who feel that they must transport their children to school, please follow the procedures below.
Parent Drop Off Procedures:
- Cars are to follow the “student drop-off” sign and drive in a single line along the outside perimeter of the parking lot, following the outline provided by the curb
- Please pull all the way up to the beginning of the curb and follow directions provided by outside staff.
- Students are to exit their cars curbside only.
- Please do not release students from the car prior without there being a staff member present to monitor the safety of the children.
- Cars must then leave the drop-off line immediately to allow the flow of traffic to continue.
Please be reminded that parent drop off begins at 8:10 and ends promptly at 8:20am.
Please ring the bell and you and your child will be buzzed in by the Main Office. He/she may report directly to the School Nurse’s Office to be issued a late pass and be marked late for the day. You may pull to the front of the school once all our buses have left but please make sure that your child has entered the school before driving away.
Parent Pick Up Procedures:
- Parents must send a note to the teacher when they are picking their child up from school. For parents who pick up their child every day or on a specific day each week, one note will be sufficient for the entire year. Should this schedule change, however, written notification from the parent will be required. It will still be important to remind students that they are being picked up from school on any given day.
- End-of-the-day parent pick up will begin at 2:25. On a four-hour day, parent pickup is at 12:05 PM. Please do not arrive before 12:05 PM. We will not call into classrooms unless the child must leave school early for a reason that warrants the loss of valuable instructional time.
- Parents who are picking up their children during dismissal are to form a line at the DESIGNATED DOOR AT THE BACK OF THE BUILDING (WALK AROUND THE ACCESS ROAD TO THE DOOR LABELED C4) by 2:25 PM on a full day of school and 12:05 on a four-hour day. School personnel will greet you to monitor sign-out procedures. Be sure to have a proper ID with you to sign out a student. Approved persons picking up will be required to wait outside, and your child will be brought out to you.
Please be advised that your child will be sent home on the school bus if no note was received that day or if we do not have a weekly/daily note on file for the current school year. In the event you do not pick up your child at dismissal time, the Principal or designee will attempt to contact you using the district’s emergency call procedures. Your child shall be supervised by school staff in a designated area of the building and will only be released when you arrive and sign your child out of school.
At pick-up time, students will only be released to a parent or guardian or authorized person designated by the parent or guardian. In cases of divorced or separated parents, the non-custodial parent must have the permission of the custodial parent to pick up the student. It will be necessary to show identification when picking up a student.
No student is allowed to walk or ride a bicycle to or from school. All students must ride the bus or be escorted to and from school by a parent/guardian or person designed by parent/guardian.
Thank you for your cooperation. We know that these procedures will preserve our instructional time and will allow for a safer and more orderly student arrival and dismissal each day. Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have any questions.